In the afternoon while slaving away at my computer, I crave a snack but it’s hard to find something high protein, healthy, not too sweet, and guaranteed unprocessed. So why not make your own? This smelled really good as I mixed it together.
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup wheat germ
- 1/4 cup milled flax seeds
- 3 huge scoops vanilla protein powder
- 1 tbspn blueberry extract
- 1 cup pre-prepared granola mix (from my local grocery store)
- 2 small handfuls of your favorite raw nuts or what you have on hand
- 2 small handfuls of dried fruit (I had cranberries and raisins)
- 2 tbspn cinnamon
- 1/2 cup Semi-Sweet chocolate chips (optional)
- 1 cup peanut or your choice nut butter
- 1/2 cup Manuka honey
- 1/2 cup agave nectar
- 1-2 cups soy or your favorite nut drink
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 300°F. Butter or spray a flat cookie sheet.
2. Mix all dry ingredients together except for the chocolate chips.
3. Mix all the wet ingredients together until mostly combined.
4. Mix the wet and dry ingredients together. At this point, it should smell good. Mine did.
5. Add any wet ingredient you prefer if the mixture is too dry or more rolled oats or wheat germ if too wet. I ended up adding an extra tablespoon of peanut butter to soak up the dusty wheat germ/flax seed that weren’t absorbed.
6. Plop the mixture onto the pan and flatten with a spoon until desired thickness/thinness. My mixture only took up half my pan.
7. If you choose to use chocolate chips, press the chocolate chips into the top of the mixture.
8. Bake until edges are golden brown or dark brown (or in my case, like they are half a minute from burning). Mine took approximately 18 minutes. Place on cooling rack and let cool.